Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Energy-less Day In The Life

NOTE: This Day In The Life (DITL) is approximately 6 WEEKS late. Sad. Very sad.

Yup...an energy-less day. A day without energy. No computers, TV, phone, car, stove, blow dryers...okay, so maybe I went easy with a few things. Yes, I used the refrigerator. Yes, I absolutely used the air conditioner. Obviously, I used the camera. And at the end of the day, I'll admit it...I used a light to fall asleep. Ironic, no?


Without further ado...the morning began about an hour previously, with me being shocked awake by a little boy thudding into my room and yelling, "CAN I HAVE AN APPLE NOW?!?!??!" So--apple for him, vitamins for me.



Brook rolled out of bed and we went straight outside. (Sidenote: It's funny doing this 6 weeks later--oh things have changed! Long sleeves, those flip flops are now broken, more eggs than we're used to these days...it just amazes me how much things change in a short amount of time.)


Everyone was happy to be outside...even Izzy wanted to play.



My therapeutic laundry hanging ritual.



I was giving the garden a little love while Sam played Tarzan. Although I'm not sure that Tarzan ever yelled, "Mom, look at me!" for an hour straight.


This was our biggest tomato at the time...we have now eaten a kazillion tomatoes off these plants, which are now being taken over by the evil squash bugs that we cannot seem to get rid of!!!



Pretty onions going to seed (which are now all gone and have been replaced with squash, watermelon, pumpkins, spinach, peas, parsley, oregano and basil--yes, we had a lot of onions...115+, in fact).



Some of the first peas of the year. I always under-plant peas...we had maybe 10 plants this year and not one of those peas made it into the house. The kids will sit out there and eat every.single.pea. They now do the same with the tomatoes. Seriously, I can't complain. I love it.



We decided to go for a walk. I'd just read a book about how to "farm" on a very small piece of land, or even a rental property and the woman talked about putting your dog to work. Getting them a pack, etc. So I decided to see how Izzy would do w/ a "pack". Yes, that is a towel, yes I got many strange looks from neighbors, and no, she didn't seem to mind it one bit. Hmmm...



Then back inside for breakfast--mmmm...homemade granola (now that the kids are finally warming up to, although I'm not sure it's a good thing or not--we sure go through it fast these days!).



So, we bought our van a few months ago and planned on calling the junk dude guy down the road to see if we could get a couple hundred bucks outta the red car. The thing is...the kids absolutely LOVE playing in it. There are blocks under the tires, the e-brake is on, the battery is dead, it's nice and cool out in the mornings so they don't cook themselves inside...it's awesome. They play in there for hours!! So if you're looking for a gift for a 3 or 5 year old who already has everything--I highly recommend a junk car! lol.



Having this fig tree has definitely spoiled us--it's awesome for the kids to play in, is so pretty, and has absolutely delicious fruit!



I decided to get to work on all of the dead leaves...fun.




BLAH.




At least the kids (all 3 of them) enjoyed it!




B decided to write Grammie a



Much rough-housing ensued.



Until the warriors were starving. Mmmm.




Nap time!!




Crochet goods, a good book (this is the one about the dog pack I mentioned earlier), and a scoop of Nutella. Now that is some quality napping time!



Monkeys wake up and decide they need a fort. And yes, Izzy had to be in it--we discovered that she loves it when you float a sheet/blanket down over the top of her again and again. Funny dog.




Math time! I saw this idea on a blog somewhere--making your own color by number math worksheet. This one is a robot--she loved it so much she often asks for other pictures ("Mom, how about a dolphin jumping out of the water with a big splash this time?").



Kids want to ride bikes down the driveway. I decide my flowers need much attention...





Bath time!....starting to get dark, too.




Daddy's home! I love how he looks as though he's ready to flee...




Dinner in the dark. (Note to self: One tea light sooooo does NOT work for a candlelit dinner)




Finally got a shower after playing all day long!




I chill out while the kids attack Daddy with pillows.



Reading time!




Adult dinner time (which never happens)--yummy sausages from Jones Family Farm!




Candlelit dinner conversation is different. In a good way.




I give it up at about 9pm and decide there is no way I'm going to sleep if I don't get some reading in. I tried candlelight, but it just wasn't doin' it for me. Yes, I'm a cheat. Just don't tell my kids. :P

P.S. Interesting book.



No comments:

Post a Comment