Monday, October 24, 2011

Road Trip - Day 25

This is officially the last day of our road trip. Looking back now, I'm a bit sad. It all went SO quickly! We were actually supposed to stay at the Grand Canyon for another 2 days, and then stop and camp at a couple of more places in California before we got to Livermore. But, um, yeah. We were tired. We wanted real beds. And a real toilet.

So, the night before, Russ had planned to take the bus down to the bottom of the furthest trail and then hike back up to camp. I figured the kids and I could ride down with him and hike a bit of the way up and take another bus back up to camp. Well, it was rainy and icky when we left camp, but when we got a bit closer to the canyon, this is what we found...

the fog was SO thick. The kids kept wanting to wander, but if they'd get more than 5-8 feet from us, we couldn't see them... That's when Russ and I looked at each other and said, "I'm Done." HAHA.

We took the bus back to camp where the kids played Condors in the tree while Russ and I packed up. We had everything ready to go in record time.

The drive from the Grand Canyon to Livermore was 13 hours. The only official stop (other than quick potty breaks) we made where here, in Barstow, CA to let the kids out to eat dinner and play for a grand total of 30 minutes before hopping back into the car.

The kids watched as many movies in that day than they did the entire trip combined, I think! Sam passed out for about an hour, but Brooklyn (who has never slept well in the car) didn't sleep a WINK. Come 2am, she was at her wits end. Poor kid. She would be thrashing in the back, "I...WANT...OUT!!...AUUGHHHH!!!" It wasn't stressful at all, lol.

Russ and I had started reading A Game of Thrones (out loud) at some point in our road trip, and I read for nearly 10 HOURS on the drive to Livermore. The closer we got, the faster I read...trying to see if I could finish it before we got to the hotel. Keep in mind, it is 835 PAGES LONG! You will be happy to know that I finished it as we pulled off onto our exit. Oh yeah, that's how I roll.

We pulled into the hotel at 3:15am, where they informed us that all they had was a queen-sized bed. We'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment