Sunday, July 7, 2013

February - CHECK!!

During the winter, we went swimming every (or every other) Wednesday at an indoor water park.  The kids had a blast with friends, waterslides, learning to swim, teaching others to swim, jumping off of the diving board (even the high dive!!), and taking photos...I love these!



No, this is not a scene from Dexter.
This is the inside of a highlighter put into a spray bottle with a cup of warm water and sprayed all over the shower with a black light turned on.
Fun times, I tell you.

What is one to do when a delivery truck shows up at your neighbors house with a new fridge?
Ask for the box, of course!
This thing sat in our house for weeks being used for various things, but this was the favorite.

Corinne came for a visit and went with Russ on a hike out to...who knows where.

Wherever it was, there was not only wild horses running across the landscape, but the biggest cow patties I've ever seen to go with them...

More jump pictures.

Ground pound!

One of the unschooling families we met at the Unschooling Symposium last fall came and visited for a day.  Such a fun family!!  Bummed they are moving back to Washington--guess that just means it'll be our turn for a visit next time!
They all bonded over Minecraft initially, so of course they wanted to play together again.

So, Russ and I were sitting around one Saturday morning, discussing the fact that Corinne would be in town that evening.  And we didn't have a table to play cards on.  Apparently this was a Make Or Break type thing for Russ because we spent the next hour scouring Craigslist for a table.
The problem was that we didn't want a crappy table.  We've had crappy tables all of our married lives and wanted something nicer.

I stumbled on this beauty, listed for $200, which I was absolutely NOT going to pay.
In fact, I went to look at it and it was in pieces in the back of the garage of this guy's house he was getting ready to rent out, and walked away.

"Really?  You don't think it's worth refinishing?" he asked.  I shrugged.  "Well, I don't have the time to refinish it, so I guess I'm just going to have to toss it."  Well....if you're going to toss it, let me have another look.

For $35, I brought her home.
She needed some new hardware, and also comes with a leaf so it'll seat 8 no problem (not that we have 8 chairs to use, ha!).  We were excited to make this beat-up baby shine!


Lots of stripping, sanding, more stripping, more sanding, and a little stain later, it was time for getting that unique look I wanted (after much trial and error on random pieces of wood and cardboard...).

And since I can't find my "finished" photos, this will have to do for now.
This is pre-poly.  When we put the poly on, it gave the white paint a warm, worn look.
We learned a lot and this is when I realized I would really like to spend more time working in the garage (when we got one) on various projects--stay tuned for those, as I can't seem to get enough now that I DO have a garage, ha!
(Oh, and ignore those table legs...those took me WEEKS to finish because they haunted my dreams...but it all ended well, eventually...)

Farewell February, until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment